Thursday, September 1, 2011

Driving in Chicago--Not for the faint of heart

When people here in Chicago find out I'm a small town gal from Oregon they often ask what the biggest difference is between Oregon and Chicago, and I have to say the driving.

In Oregon, a traffic jam is 4 cars piled up behind someone's tractor.  Or horse-back riders crossing the street...I wish I was joking.  And on the very rare occasion, someone driving their rideable lawn mower.  In Chicago...not the case.

Driving in Chicago is really intimidating for the non-born and raised city person.  Five lanes of traffic and everyone speeding by you (when you're already going 10 over the speed limit) is just ridiculous!  And what's worse is the big truck drivers do it too. I am always so scared to drive.  I honestly feel like I'm going to get run off the road.

And on top of the multiple lanes of traffic with every single person you're surrounded by speeding, are the cell phone talkers, or worse...the texters.  I mean really? Hands free means hands free to talk on the phone. It does NOT mean find another activity for your hands.  I'm sorry but until you develop eyes like a chameleon where one looks down and one looks ahead, your brain will eventually go...I CANT DO THIS!!! I am Intextificated!!! (to use one from Robin Williams's book hehe)
Luckily, I got a new car which I love.  It is much bigger than my last car and also a metallic blue, so I feel like people KNOW I'm there.  I used to drive this almost-touching-the-ground little silver car and I swear, I was easily ignored.  At least I feel a little safer with my new car.  I named her Iris! My family has a thing for naming our cars. Does anyone else do that? If so you should comment and tell me what your car's name is :)

Iris :)

No comments:

Post a Comment