Thursday, September 15, 2011

Caprese Salad with a twist

I went to the grocery store last night and found these BeauTiFuL heirloom tomatoes. 
Gorgeous little tomato jems.

Once I saw them I knew exactly what I was going to make. I love to go into the store and just look around for what looks delicious that day. 

Let the market inspire you!

Now I love Caprese Salad which is traditionally just layers of sliced tomatoes, mozarella, and basil.  But...I love crunchy croutons on my salads also.  And so...I present to you...

Baked Caprese Salad :)
How I made it:

Slice the gorgeous tomatoey jems and place in the bottom of a baking dish.  Drizzle tomato slices with balsamic vinegar.  Then chop 1 big clove of garlic and sprinkled it over the tomatoes.  Slice lots and lots of salty mozarella and place over the slices of tomato.  Sprinkle chopped basil, salt, and pepper over the cheesey goodness.  Next, the "croutons".  Take slices of your favorite bread and top the salad.  I used an oat nut bread but anything would be delicious. Then drizzle the bread generously with olive oil.  Bake at 375 until the mozarella is ooooozing and gooey, and the bread is golden brown and crispy-crouton like. 

Then..

Dig in!

And try to resist eating the whole dish by yourself. 

I couldn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment