Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A sweet and tangy treat

Lemon bars...hello baby!  I have to dedicate this post and these creamy delights to my best friend ever, Meme.  I just made these from scratch today and I have to tell you they were so much better than the boxed kind I had grown so accustomed to making. Never again! I had to share this recipe. At first bite you get the buttery crust...followed by the intensely sour, lemony custard...and then the delicately sweet powdered sugar to mellow it all out. It's just heavenly. Read on for the recipe!


In a mixer, combine 2 sticks of room temperature butter and 1/2 cup of sugar.  Cream together. With the mixer on low add 2 cups of flour and 1/8 tsp. of salt.  Pat into the bottom of a 9x12 baking pan. Chill for 15 minutes. Then bake crust at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until very lightly browned. For the filling, mix 6 eggs with 3 cups of sugar.  Add 2 tbs. grated lemon zest and 1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice.  While mixing, add 1 cup of flour slowly so it does not get lumpy.  Pour custard mixture onto the crust and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.  Once set and cooled, dust with powdered sugar to serve.

*Disclaimer: Bars are more scrumptious than they appear. I'm sorry people I am not a food photographer! I am using a little rinky dink camera I got during the day after Thanksgiving sale, lol. Please try them!

1 comment: