Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thursday afternoon and some Comfort Food

So, when I think of comfort food I always think of mashed potatoes and gravy.  My grandmother used to make the best mashed potatoes and white gravy. My love for cooking began as a child when I would stand on a chair next to my grandmother and help her make homemade noodles and chicken broth and pour that delicious mixture down over her WORLD FAMOUS mashed potatoes!

World famous in MY world of course :)

I decided to fulfill my comfort food craving with some homemade sweet potato fries and some "heavenly dipping sauce" as my boyfriend so eloquently named it.
The sweet potato fries are baked, so I feel less guilty about eating...well...all of them.
I peeled a sweet potato and cut it into wedges.
Threw the wedges into a bowl where I drizzled them with olive oil, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nut meg.
Baked them at 350 for about 25-30 minutes.
And here they are.
For my "heavenly dipping sauce" wisk together the following:
1/2 cup honey
The juice and zest of one big fat orange
1/3 cup powdered sugar (I added almost 1/2 cup just to make it thicker)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
Dunk the gorgeous sweet potato wedges into the heavenly dipping sauce. 
And please...by all means...
Double dipping is encouraged.

1 comment: