Monday, May 28, 2012

"Fried" Ice Cream and a Memory

Today is Memorial Day, a day in which the nation remembers all of the men and women who gave there lives serving in the US Armed Forces. I never personally knew any of these people and yet I feel I am in debt to them. I don't know that I'd ever be brave enough to do half of what they did for this country. So to all of them, whoever you are, thank you.
 Even though this day is reserved for remembering the Armed Forces, I can't help but think of my grandmother. I miss her so much.  She had the best laugh, the most beautifully wrinkled hands, and she always smelled like rose soap. I used to spend the night with her and I would be by her side the entire time I was at her house. I remember helping her pick raspberries in the garden. We would tie buckets around our waist so we could pick with both hands. After very little time had passed her bucket would be filled to the top with plump, burgundy berries, and my bucket barely had a layer coating the bottom. Now this could have been either from lack of speed...or the most logical answer would be that I would be eating most of them. One raspberry in the bucket, then five in my mouth...one raspberry in the bucket, then five in my mouth. You get the idea.

Because it's getting so unbearably hot outside, and my air conditioning has refused to blow anything but warm air, I have refused to cook or bake anything. The fiance and I have been eating a lot of sandwiches, and man that gets old fast. But today I decided to bust out the crockpot and make some country ribs (recipe and pictures coming to a theater near you!) and corn on the cob.  But today, it's "fried" ice cream.


I am like my dad in the sense that I have to put something crunchy with ice cream. He liked to put pop corn on his rocky road ice cream, which sounds weird to some people, but to the rest of us, salty crunchy popcorn on top of rich chocolate ice cream, is pretty damn good.
"Fried" Ice Cream


Vanilla Ice Cream
Corn Flakes
Cinnamon 
Honey


Buy your favorite kind of ice cream and scoop out 8 softball size scoops.  Form them into a ball and then place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Put the ice cream balls in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour, to firm up.  In a ziplock bag add 2 cups of corn flakes and 2 tsp cinnamon. Pound the bag lightly until the corn flakes are broken up.  Next bring the cookie sheet out of the freezer and one by one put each ice cream ball into the bag and roll it around in the cinnamon and corn flakes. Use your hands to press the mixture into the ice cream.  After coating each one, return to the freezer for another 30 minutes.  When you are ready to serve, put one or two ice cream balls into a bowl and drizzle with honey. 
So refreshingly cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment