Sunday, May 13, 2012

Turkey Burger Pitas with Grilled Pineapple

As I was walking up and down each isle of the grocery store, with an empty cart, scanning the shelves waiting to become inspired for the week's meals, I stopped in the canned fruit area. My eye was drawn to the pineapple. Pineapple in chunks, crushed pineapple, pineapple rings. Man I hate cutting up a pineapple. It's so much easier to buy it pre-cut. So I bought a can of each kind of pineapple and continued on my way.
I turned the corner and headed for the meat section. I went straight for the chicken breast by default, and then I noticed the ground turkey. Hmm, maybe I can make a turkey meatloaf? I don't know but I'm sure I can do something with it. Next to the bread. The pitas were on sale, so I grabbed a bag and finished the rest of my shopping. 
Once I got home and unloaded everything, the 3 novel items that I purchased during this trip, pitas, ground turkey and canned pineapple just sat on the counter. Why not make sandwiches? Seems easy enough. And boy, was it delicious. I made the turkey burgers smokey and spicy with some smoked paprika and crushed red pepper. The grilled pineapple was so sweet and just melded perfectly with the red onion. 

For the Turkey Burgers:
1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 small onion, grated
2 heaping tbs. Dijon mustard
2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and form into 4 large patties.  Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Drizzle with olive oil and place each burger on the grill. After about 4-5 minutes when the first side has nice dark brown grill marks, flip burgers and continue cooking on other side, until cooked all the way through. Remove turkey burgers from grill and knock the heat down to medium low. Grill pineapple slices for 30 seconds to a minute on each side.  

To assemble burgers, slice pitas in half. Fill each half with your favorite toppings. I used:
Mayo
Spinach
Sliced Red Onion
Turkey Burgers
Grilled Pineapple
Pepper jack Cheese 
Seriously, you have to try this.

No comments:

Post a Comment