Thursday, January 26, 2012

Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with White Chocolate Buttercream Filling

A couple posts back I was talking about one of my professors and how I wanted to make him something tasty as a thank you for writing me a letter of recommendation.
 Well, this post is about another awesome professor who had also written me a letter.  This woman is probably the busiest person that I know of.  She wrote over 40 letters of recommendation for different students.  Now I have had professors tell me no, because they have reached their limit and wouldn't be able to get all of the letters completed on time.  THIS professor however, never says no.  Even when maybe she should.  I appreciate her and the time she gives us.  

When I was getting ready to take her some treats I heard through the grape vine that she was sick and unable to eat solid foods.  Brownies in hand, and unsure what to do, I decided to take them home, and wait another week before taking her something else, hoping that by then she could eat it.  I decided to make her something softer, and chose to make whoopie pies; little cake like cookies sandwiched between a creamy filling.  When I took them to her on Tuesday she was so surprised and luckily was able to eat soft foods.  Yay!  I hope you enjoyed them Dr. J and thank you for all you have done for me!

Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with White Chocolate Buttercream Filling:
 Adapted from Paula Deen


2 cups flour
2 tbs cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2 tbs red food coloring (I used only one, but if you want them to be more red, then use 2)


In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar for a minute or two until fluffy.  Add in the vanilla and egg to combine, then scrape down the sides.  Then add the food coloring.  In a separate bowl, sift all of the dry ingredients together.  Then add a third of the dry ingredients, then half of the milk.  Then another third of the dry ingredients, then the rest of the milk.  Finish with the last of the dry ingredients.  Don't over mix, just make sure everything is incorporated then turn mixer off.


Scoop out the batter using a 1-inch ice cream scoop and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Make sure to space the cakes out because the batter will spread slightly while baking.  Bake for 7-10 minutes at 375 degrees.


For the filling:


I believe traditionally whoopie pies have a marshmallow filling but I decided to make a white chocolate buttercream.  Here are recipes for both.  


White Chocolate Buttercream:
8 tbs butter, room temperature
1/2 cup white chocolate chips, melted
2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tbs cream
1 tsp vanilla


Mix butter and powdered sugar together until combined.  With the mixer on low, slowly add in the melted white chocolate and then vanilla.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl then turn the mixer back on.  Add 1 tbs of cream or milk.  If you want you can add a little more cream or milk to get the desired consistency that you want.  Next take a red velvet cake, spread filling on the bottom, then sandwich with another cake.  
Marshmallow filling:
1/4 cup butter
4 oz. cream cheese
7 oz. marshmallow creme


Mix butter and cream cheese together until well combined then add the marshmallow creme.  Assemble sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment