Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cherry Pockets

My life has been crazy busy lately.  By the time I finally roll in the house, after its dark outside, all I wanna do is relax.  And most of the time that involves cooking, but sometimes...it's just more of a hassle than I'm willing to handle.  We've all been there.  I don't know how my mother did it.  Teaching all day, running us kids around, then come home and cook us all dinner.  Afterward cleaning up and then helping us with homework, or doing laundry. Man.  Talk about wonder-woman!

My last post was about easy desserts.  Sometimes we just want to have something delicious without all the effort and hours spent in the kitchen.  These little cherry pockets are really easy to make and really good. I think you could even have these for breakfast or brunch, because they have very little sugar and aren't too sweet.  Between the two of us, my boyfriend and I ate one who tray in a day. Yum.
 2 sheets (1 box) puff pastry
1 can cherry pie filling
4 ounces (1/2 package) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
Work with puff pastry while it is still chilled.  Roll out each sheet and cut into 9 squares.  Combine the sugar and cheese and place a dollop on each puff pastry square.  Top with 2 or 3 cherries.  Brush the edges of each square with egg wash.  Bring all four edges together, and pinch closed.  Then brush each little cherry pocket with egg wash.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until puff pastry is golden brown.  If you want a little more sweetness, you can make a quick little sugar drizzle with 1 cup powdered sugar, 2-3 tbs of orange juice, and a tsp of vanilla.

1 comment:

  1. they look amazing - one rto try me thinks, although may try with variations of fruits :-D and a small sprinkle of icing sugar :-D

    Chris W

    ReplyDelete