Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving--Menu

Thanksgiving is tomorrow and I have been preparing for it all week.  This year it's just me, my boyfriend, and my best friend Meme who flew all the way from Oregon just to spend time with me and have a Chicago Thanksgiving.  I am so looking forward to cooking for two of the most special people in my life.

Aside from the turkey, I have mostly everything either made, and/or assembled so come tomorrow all I need to do is warm everything up and cook the turkey.  Here's what I'm making.

Appetizers:

Smokey Cheese Dip (recipe below)
Easy Creamy Dill Dip (recipe below)
Spinach Dip
Deviled Eggs

Main Course:

Turkey
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Stuffing
Grandma's Corn Pudding (recipe below)
Buttered Hot Rolls
Starting left and going clockwise: cranberry marmalade, turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, corn pudding

Dessert:

Pumpkin Cheesecake (recipe below)

Last year was my first time making an entire Thanksgiving feast on my own.  I however did not make a turkey...since it was just Meme and I,  I opted for a small ham instead.  But this year, I am tackling the big bird! With the help of my mom, via phone support, I am confident it will turn out yummy as ever.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Smokey Cheese Dip
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup mayo
1 jar old english kraft cheese
1 small onion, diced fine
1 stock celery, diced fine
2 medium packages of cracker barrel sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp worchestershire sauce
dash salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients and allow it to set in the fridge.  If you want to, you can roll portions of the dip into a ball and then into a variety of nuts to make this cheese dip into a cheese ball.  Serve with crackers and veggies.

Creamy Dill Dip
1 cup mayo
1 cup sour cream
1 tbs parsley
1 tbs minced onion
2-3 tbs fresh dill, start with 2 and taste. You can always add more.
 This is what fresh dill looks like.

Note: if you want to use dried dill, I'd suggest 1-2 teaspoons.

Combine all ingredients until mixed and smooth.  Serve with whatever you'd like! I'm doing a veggie tray.

Grandma's Corn Pudding
1 stick butter

1 cup chopped onion
1 can mexicorn, drained
1 can cream style corn
3 eggs beaten
1 cup sour cream
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese


Saute onions in butter until tender.  Add corn, eggs, sour cream.  Stir in muffin mix and pour into buttered casserole dish.  Sprinkle cheese on top.  Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees.


Pumpkin Cheesecake


Crust:
2 packages graham crackers
1 stick melted butter


In a food processor crumble the crackers until they are small crumbs then slowly add the melted butter until combined.  Press into the bottom of a pie dish and back at 350 for 7-10 minutes until golden.


Filling:
2 sticks cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-26 ounce can pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
Cream the cheese, sugar and pumpkin puree together.  With the mixer running add eggs one at a time.  Once eggs are combined add spices.  Pour filling into bottom of crust and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until middle is set (and still slightly jiggly).  Place in fridge until chill and filling has set.

No comments:

Post a Comment