Monday, November 14, 2011

Cheesy Broccoli Ham Braid

 My posts typically consist of something sweet.  I'm sure it's hard to imagine I make anything other than waist-expanding, sugary treats.  But...I do! (pause for gasps)

I try to make dinner for my honey every night, and after a long day of classes and work, sometimes it's easier said than done.  I've become particularly fond of my crock-pot.  Making things like my mama's Beef Stew, or Turkey Ropa Vieja.

Tonight I was having a particular craving for something cheesy, and breaded.  I mean hello...melty-gooey cheese and carbs?  Nothing much better in the world than that.  I am not really sure what to call this, so lets call it the Cheesy Broccoli Ham Braid.

Ingredients:
1 bunch broccoli
8 ounces swiss cheese, grated
15 slices deli ham, diced
1/2 cup mayonaise
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp whole grain mustard
salt and pepper to taste
2 packages store bought crescent rolls (dough)

Start by blanching the broccoli.  Cut the broccoli florets into bite size pieces then toss into a pot of boiling water, and cook for one minute.  After a minute, drain the broccoli and place into a bowl of ice water.  The quick dip in the boiling water is the blanch.  Then the dip in the ice water is called shocking.  It stops the cooking process and keeps the bright green color of the broccoli.

Next, combine mayo and mustards, then toss in the cheese, ham, broccoli and salt and pepper.  Taste it after this point and if you think you need a little more salt or pepper then go ahead and adjust the seasonings.

Next, on a large baking sheet un-roll 2 packages of crescent rolls.  Place the mixture down the center of the rolls.  Then tear strips along the border of the dough and "braid" the dough over the top of the mixture.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15ish minutes, or until golden brown and the cheese is ooey-gooey-melty-goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment