Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Easy Home-made Cranberry Marmalade

Thanksgiving is just a few days away and I've been preparing since last week.  My menu is made and all of my groceries have been purchased.  Since I'm sure many of you are also doing some last minute menu ideas I am going to start posting some of the things that I'm making ahead for the Big Day!

Growing up I became very accustomed to the holiday cranberry sauce that comes in a can, that you have to shake to get out.  It plops out onto the plate and has the ribs from the can going all across it.  We would simply slice it and there you go, cranberry crap in a can.
This year was my first time making a home-made cranberry sauce and let me tell you, it is sinfully easy to make, but the flavors are awesome.  The cranberry sauce is tart, sweet, and the spices give it a subtle warmth.  There are hundreds of recipes out there for home-made cranberry sauce but they all seemed weird, at least to me.  Adding nuts and what not.  I don't want an exotic cranberry sauce.  Plain and simple will do just fine.

While making this I was so intrigued by the berries.  Watching them percolate in the pot I started to hear a noise.  "Until the berries burst".  What was I to look for? They SOUNDED like they were popping but I couldn't see anything.  I felt myself get kind of excited.  Were they going to pop out of the pot?  Suddenly the first berry burst! Then another, and another.  The rest quickly followed.  The pot became a gorgeous deep red color.  Stirring in the zest and spices, it becomes so fragrant and delicious.  Glorious cranberry goodness. mmm....

4 cups fresh cranberries (1 bag)
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 cup sugar
zest of 1 orange
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
In a saucepan add the cranberries, juice and sugar.
 Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes until the berries have burst and mixture becomes thick.
 Once thick turn off the heat and add the zest and spices.
 Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment