Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cherry-Lemon Biscotti with Almonds

I was looking around my kitchen today trying to get inspired to make something.  Having a particularly BLAH day, I really just wanted to relax and make something delish.  I looked in my freezer...not much in there besides half an open bag of sliced almonds.  In the pantry...a bag of dried cherries that had been pushed to the back of the shelf, nearly forgotten.  In my fruit bowl...not much left besides a bruised green apple and two lemons.

What in the world can I make using these ingredients....

Biscotti :)

The word biscotti originates from the medieval Latin word biscoctus meaning twice baked.  Which is why biscotti is baked twice! Interesting.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, room temperature

1/2 a bag of sliced almonds (about 3/4 of a cup)
1 bag of dried cherries (about 3/4 of a cup)
zest from 2 lemons

Mix the butter, sugar, salt, eggs, lemon zest.
 With the mixer on low add the flour and baking powder. Once combined, stir in the almonds and cherries.
 Form dough into a log. Bake until golden brown about 30-35 mins at 350 degrees.  Once log has cooled slightly, slice into cookies and bake again for about 15 minutes.
Dunk into some hot cocoa, tea or coffee, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment