Saturday, July 21, 2012

Spaghetti with a Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

Is there any person out there who doesn't love a super easy dinner idea that can be thrown together 20 minutes before you're wanting to eat?
 I didn't think so.

I'm not that big of a fan of spaghetti.  Probably because growing up spaghetti was pretty underwhelming. My mom would over-cook the pasta and it would be mushy, which was not hidden from the blob of store bought pasta sauce dumped on top of it. (Sorry mama.)  Also I was told growing up that salting the pasta water made it boil faster.  Obviously this isn't why professional cooks (or the more informed cooks) salt their water.  You salt the water to flavor the pasta.  Who knew?!
Spaghetti for me was only good because I used to love The Lady and the Tramp. My dad taught me how to do the spaghetti smooch!  It took me a couple practice tries because I kept biting the strand of spaghetti, but we eventually got it. That is a memory from childhood that is a funny father-daughter moment.
Spaghetti with a Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
3 jarred roasted red peppers, diced (seeds removed)
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves
1 tbs tomato paste
2 tbs basil pesto
1/2 cup white wine
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (do 1/8 tsp if you want less spice)
olive oil
salt and pepper
Pasta (such as spaghetti, fettuccine, rigatoni, ziti, etc)

Cook pasta per box directions.

To make the sauce: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and cook for a couple minutes until the onions are tender.  Add in the garlic, tomato paste, red peppers and white wine.  Cook for another 2-3 minutes.  Next place the mixture into a blender and puree until smooth.  Return the mixture to the skillet and add the cream and pesto.  Stir and taste. Adjust seasonings if necessary.

Toss the cooked pasta into the sauce and serve immediately.
That's Amore.

No comments:

Post a Comment