Friday, June 15, 2012

Toasted Coconut Icebox Cake with Blueberries

When I was a little girl, I used to pretend that I was Mary Poppins. Not only did I pretend to be her, I made others pretend as well. I can remember walking around my pre-school classroom saying my name is not Joanna it's Mary Poppins! Silly I know...but I wanted so badly to jump through side-walk chalk drawings, and ride a carousel horse around a park, eat candied apples and dance with penguins in tuxedos.  Ahh the life of a child.  Where imagination is not overrated.  I miss those days.
My love for cooking stems from childhood as well.  For anyone who has read this blog for longer than 5 minutes, you know I often talk of my grandmother and how I used to stand on a kitchen chair next to her, helping her make home-made noodles. Some of my fondest memories are spent with my grandmother.  Her, and Mary Poppins.

This icebox cake is super easy, and might I add healthy. It's a light dessert, perfect for these upcoming hot summer nights.
Toasted Coconut Icebox Cake

2 sleeves graham crackers
16 ounces lite cool whip
1 cup coconut flakes, toasted
1-1/2 cups blueberries

In the bottom of a 9" spring form pan, place a layer of graham crackers.  Break into pieces in order to help them fit.  Spread 1/3 of the whipped cream over the crackers then sprinkle 1/2 cup blueberries.  Repeat 2 more times.  Once you've used all of the ingredients, sprinkle the top generously with toasted coconut.  Refrigerate overnight, and by the next morning the graham crackers will have softened into a perfect cutting consistency.  Slice and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment