Sunday, December 18, 2011

Fruit Bouquet

People often ask me if I make anything other than sweets.  I realize the majority of my posts usually consist of some baked goodies or confectionery treat.  But obviously I don't live off of them.  I find my passion is in baking and making sweets because dessert is my favorite meal of the day.  And I find that people never remember what you made for dinner, but they will always remember what you made for dessert.  I love making people smile through these desserts.  But as a personal goal for myself and for my blog, I am going to post more of the savory things I make. 
 Tonight was my work Christmas dinner at an Indian Restaurant called Saffron.  I usually take snacks into the office that consist of sugar and butter.  But considering my supervisor is a nutritionist, the girls and I decided it'd be best to do something a little on the light and healthy side.  We were looking into purchasing an edible arrangement online but hello...who has $120 to spend on fruit?  Not us!  I decided to take on the challenge of making it myself.  And I was able to do it for about $40 total, including the box I arranged it in.

What I used:

2 quarts strawberries
1 pint blackberries
2 bags of red grapes
2 bags of green grapes
1 pineapple
1 honeydew 


small box
skewers
Styrofoam square the size of the box

Wash the fruit and pick through it once.  Get rid of any berry or piece that is mushy or starting to get too ripe.  The fruit should be firm enough to stick the skewers through.  There was really no rhyme or reason to how I arranged things.  On long wooden kebob skewers I did grapes, alternating red and green, or combined blackberries with a pineapple star on top.  The Christmas tree in the center was honeydew.  How I made the stars and tree was using a cookie cutter that i placed on top of the fruit, and then cut around it.  Don't just push the cookie cutter through the fruit slice, it'll push all the juice out of it and make a big mess.


This was really quite fun to do, and I honestly think practice will make perfect.  I hope I can make another one soon for someone else.  The best part was, after we presented it to our supervisor, we all sat around the table and ate it.  Delicious (and healthy) way to end our meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment