Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Homemade Peppermint Patties

I'm not usually a big fan of mint and chocolate together.  I've never liked peppermint patties before.  The mint was always too strong for me.  Reminiscent of toothpaste or some type of strange oil my grandmother used to have in her bathroom.
I've also never liked mint chocolate chip ice cream.  I can tolerate an Andes Mint now and then but that is about it.
 That is until now anyways.  Making your own candy always seems like such a daunting task.  When in half the time I could put some shoes on and run down the street to the little convenience store and buy a handful for a couple dollars.  I come to surprise myself often how much easier it is to make than I allowed myself to believe.  Not only that, how much more DELICIOUS it tastes than the store bought.
These homemade peppermint patties were just right for me.  The mint inside was delicate and just barely tickles your tongue.  It's enough to taste but not enough to feel like you need to gurgle and floss afterwards.  Eww toothpaste candy. I promise this is NOT that!

Homemade Peppermint Patties

2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1-1/2 Tbs. unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
2 tsp. half and half

In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix all ingredients above until combined and smooth.  Chill in fridge for an hour.  After an hour has passed, using a 1/2 Tbs. measure, scoop out balls of the peppermint dough and roll in between your hands.  Flatten slightly by pressing down with your fingers.  Set on a cookie tray lined with aluminum foil.  Once you've used all of the mixture, return to the fridge for another hour.  Meanwhile make the chocolate dip.

Chocolate Dip

1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 Tbs. half and half

Over a double boiler (a pot of boiling water with a glass bowl on top) melt the chocolate dip ingredients.  Once fully melted, remove from the heat.  Retrieve the peppermint patties out of the fridge.  Place them one at a time into the chocolate mixture, making sure to coat all sides.  Use a fork to get the patties out of the chocolate and put back onto the tray.  Once you've dipped all of the patties return the tray to the fridge so the chocolate can harden.  Once the chocolate is hardened, store the patties in the fridge in an airtight container.
 I give this recipe the chocolate thumb print of approval. 

No comments:

Post a Comment